Friday, September 28, 2012

Fingerprint Apple Tree

Tuesday's theme at Story Time was apple related in honor of Johnny Appleseed's birthday (September 26, 1774). I have heard about Johnny Appleseed most of my life, but never knew his story. I listened intently with the children and decided to google him upon returning home.


The biggest shocker for me was that he was a REAL person! I had no idea! I also learned that he was a simple man, deeply religious, and a  vegetarian and wore his cooking pot on his head as a hat.

The take home craft was a fingerprint apple tree and is so easy to make.
(Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures until it was finished)





Supplies

Toilet Paper Roll
Brown and Green Construction Paper
Red Paint


1. Cut a strip of brown construction paper as wide as the toilet paper roll. Make sure it is long enough to wrap around the entire roll.

2. Glue the brown paper to the roll. (I had to paperclip the paper until it dried to make it stick)

3. Cut the top of the tree out of green construction paper.

4. Have your child make "apples" from their fingerprints with the red paint.

5. After the paint has dried glue the top of the tree to the toilet paper roll.

Pretty easy right? I'd love to hear how your project turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment